We traveled to Italy with Rick Steve's Tour group and while we were site seeing, our travel guide shopped at the farmers market and made up this salad with the local fresh produce available at the time. It was a hit!
|Our tour guide in Italy made this salad from the farmers market one day, everyone loved it!|
|Prep Time||25 minutes|
- 1/2 cup grated celery root
- 1 cup Gigante beans large italian beans
- 1 medium red pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1 small apple diced
- 1 cup grapes sliced in half
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts toasted
- romain lettuce about 2 small bags of chopped romaine
- 1 lemon juiced
- thyme or herbes de provence
- Prepare the vegetables , fruit, and lettuce and toss together. Sprinkle a little olive oil and juiced lemon over top of salad to taste. Salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with herbs
- I find celery root at New Seasons and I'm sure Whole Foods would carry it as well. This root was served all over Italy and France when we visited some years ago. Its an ugly looking root but you peel it and grate it right on to your salad.
- The gigante beans are found at New Seasons in the olive bar. I buy a small tub and just dump the whole thing on my salad oil and all. I don't generally have to put much olive oil on my salad as the beans provide plenty. These too were found all over Italy and we fell in love with them. I was so glad to find them at a store here!