A rich, spicy, hearty soup full of flavor. You won't leave the table hungry.
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 medium leeks white and light green parts thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 3 Tbs tomato past
- 3 Tbs creamy peanut butter
- 1.5 Tbs harissa paste (its difficult to find substitue Berbere seasoning poweder)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp gr. turmeric
- 3/4 tsp gr cumin
- 2 inch medium sweet potatoes peeled and sliced 1/4thick (5 cups)
- 3.5 cups vegetable broth
- 3 oz spinach leaves thinly sliced (2 packed cups)
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Heat oil in dutch oven over med high heat. Add leeks, and saute 5-7 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, peanut butter, harissa, garlic, tumeric, and cumin. Cook 1 min stirring constantly.
- Add sweet potatoes, broth, and 1.5 cups of water and simmer over med low heat covered 20-25 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Blend mixture with immersion blender, adding more water if soup is too thick. Bring soup back to simmer and stir in spinach leaves and serve with lemon wedges if desired.
- I use a whole quart of broth (4 cups), so only add 1 cup of water. However I think adding just broth over water gives it more flavor. I tend to add more spinach, as well as not blending it. I like texture. I serve with brown rice, roasted cauliflower and browned fennel. Together its divine!
- Experiment to your own liking !