When feeding your body proper nutrition, you are giving yourself self love! Different foods can either harm or heal our bodies. Nobody really wants to harm their body, but unknowingly we can eat the wrong foods that will cause ourselves problems. Where do you start to put good nutrition into your body? What might be considered the top, say 10 foods, that would be considered the elite foods that would help maintain a healthy life-style.
I used two sources: the various diets that listed what they considered the top health foods and what the top dietitians considered the top foods. I then picked a food and looked for its position on each list. When I finished, what a surprising list I had. What was even more surprising was when I looked up the nutrition index for each food, I found that one could literally stop taking supplements. Here’s the list of the top 10 miracle foods.
1. Almonds: Packed with nutrients such as fiber, riboflavin, magnesium iron, and calcium,(in fact more calcium then any other nut.) One serving of almonds (23 nuts) provides half of your body’s Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) of vitamin E.
2. Apples: A great source of pectin, a soluble fiber. Helps lower blood cholesterol and glucose levels. Good source of vitamin C
3. Bananas: Great source of potassium, phytonutrients, and multiple vitamins. Aids in digestion and promotes gastrointestinal health.
4. Blueberries: Also a source of plant phytonutrients. May prevent urinary tract infections and help improve short term memory. Also a low calorie source of fiber and vitamin C
5. Broccoli: A good source of calcium, potassium, folate and fiber. Also phytonutrients that may help prevent chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and some cancers. A good source of vitamin A and C
6. Beans: Good sources of iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, and thiamin. Also an excellent low-fat, low-calorie source of protein and dietary fiber.
7. Beets: The pigment, betacyanin, is a powerful cancer-fighting agent. An excellent source of the B vitamin folate, and a very good source of manganese, potassium, dietary fiber, vitamin C, magnesium, iron, copper and phosphorus.
8. Spinach: A great source of vitamins A and C and folate. Also a good source for riboflavin, vitamin B6, calcium, iron and magnesium. Its plant compounds may boost your immune system and help keep your hair and skin healthy.
9. Sweet Potatoes: Its deep orange-yellow color tells you they’re high in the antioxidant bête carotene which converts to vitamin A in your body. Also a good source fiber, vitamins B6, C, and E, folate, and potassium. They are fat free and relatively low in calories.
10. Seeds: Huge source of protien, calcium, iron, antioxidants, healthy fats along with many vitamins and minerals. Here is a great list of seeds to choose from!
Truly, this is just 10 healthy foods we can eat, there are so many more nutritious foods out there to choose from. But if you just want to start including great foods into your diet, and need help on where to begin, start here!
Thank you to my father Ronald who contributed to this blog!