In light of all the events going on right now with Coronavirus (COVID-19), I thought I would dive into how to support and boost our immune systems. It is a stressful time. Stress weakens our immune systems, which can make us more susceptible to germs. Let’s talk about some tips and ideas that you can use now and in the future.
- Relax and breath. Using Essential Oils such as lavender or Adaptiv™ Calming Blend throughout your day can help you stay calm. (Women’s Health magazine has a helpful guide on 20 Essential Oils That May Help Relieve Anxiety and Stress, According To Research.) I have been diffusing different blends all day long and especially while getting ready for bed!
- Do deep breathing. Don’t have essential oils on hand? That’s ok. Slowing down and thinking about your breathing can lessen your body’s fight-or-flight response. This short video from Tufts Medical Center is a quick intro to one breathing technique with a good explanation about why intentional breathing helps with calmness.
- Turn off the news. I don’t want to make light of the seriousness of our current circumstances, but we can’t keep our minds and bodies in a constant state of unease. When we’re constantly dwelling on the negative or stressful, it will affect your body, weakening our immune system and potentially making ourselves unwell just from anxiety. If you need something to create mental distance, try an audio book (I love audible!), listen to music, talk to a friend on the phone or video chat (I actually had a zoom get together with some friends for a happy hour!), watch a silly movie (laughing actually decreases stress!), sit outside (or at least get some sun if you can!), read a good book, go for a walk, or take an Epsom salt bath with essential oils. There are also a lot of groups on line supporting each other, I have had more zoom meetings than ever before and all have been supportive and encouraging. We are all in this together. It’s important to be with others (at least on line).
Cut down on sharing germs. You already know this part! But just a quick recap!
- Stay home when sick. Call your doctor.
- Be smart and courteous. Make sure to be considerate of others when you do make an outing for your essentials, like groceries or medicine. The CDC has a handy list on how to help protect yourself and others.
- Wipe down surfaces often, including doorknobs, kitchen handles/knobs, your phone, the remote, the computer keyboard, the faucet handles, the doorknob in and out of the front door, the button to the garage, your steering wheel and everywhere else you touch, even your groceries! Make a new daily habit of wiping down spaces (especially if you do go out!). Hint: it might be a habit you’ll be glad to keep.
- Use handsanditizers when you’re out. You can make your own, too: https://mostlovelythings.com/diy-hand-sanitizer/ So many places are out of sanitizers, I love to make my own and or use DoTERRA’s hand sanitizer. I carry it everywhere I go! I spray my hands before I get out of the car, the shopping cart handles, after I put the groceries in the car and then wash my hands when I get home.
- Use hand wipes at home and on the go. If you can’t find any in the store, consider making these all-purpose wipes: https://amindfullmom.com/diy-all-natural-disinfectant-wipes/ Great to keep in the car to wash anything of question!
- Use your super power often: Wash. Your. Hands. Experts have always talked about how easy and important it is to wash our hands, but did you know that handwashing with soap actually dismantles viruses? Read this article and make sure to watch the video: https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/3/11/21173187/coronavirus-covid-19-hand-washing-sanitizer-compared-soap-is-dope
Focus on self-care.
- Eat smart. In addition to those practical ideas above, which are part of self-care, build up your immune system with good food. You know this is my niche! It’s the usual suggestions, like eating more fruits and veggies, cutting down sugar, drinking enough water or tea (like Traditional Medicinals Gypsy Cold Care Tea or other herbal teas), and more. (Find ideas on my website.)
- Keep exercising and stretching. A quick Google search will yield numerous ideas, as fitness companies are moving their options online. Now would be a good time to find a great on-line Yoga class, or order a workout DVD to do at home. My husband and I are doing my workout DVD’s together (which I find kind of fun as its kicking his butt too :))
- Prioritize sleep. This can be a tough one right now, with everything going on. I’d encourage you to read last month’s blog on sleep to learn more. Good sleep will continue to be the foundation for your strong immunity system response.
I hope this blog finds you well. Stay healthy! And if you’re looking for more ideas and tips, give me a call.