|Dr Perricone Recipe|
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||75 minutes|
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 3 shallots peeled and minced
- 1 onion minced
- 1 leek well-cleaned and thinly sliced
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 lb. mushrooms sliced
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 1 cup barley or quinoa for gluten free
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 2 Tbs low sodium all natural tamari or coconut aminos for soy free
- 3 cups boiling vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Toast the sunflower seeds in the oven for about 7 minutes, or until lightly browned; remove from oven, leaving it at 350.
- In a skillet, saute the shallots, onion, and leek in olive oil for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, celery, sunflower seeds, barley, herbs and tamari and continue sauteing for 5 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the vegetable stock to the barley mixture. Bring to a boil and transfer the mixture to a casserole dish.
- Bake, covered for 1 1/4 hours.
- For those gluten free, you could try it with quinoa. You would not have to cook so long as quinoa cooks much quicker, I cooked it with quinoa and baked for about 45 minutes. Also, you would want to decrease the broth to just 2 - 2.5 cups instead of 3 cups.
- If you didn't want to toast the sunflower seeds, just buy roasted sunflower seeds and skip the roasting step!