I love a Mediterranean flair in food and I love falafel's. This salad brings those flavors together for an amazing dish!
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- Salad Base:
- Spring mix or choice of leafy greens
- red onion thinly sliced
- Tomatoes sliced
- cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed, 15-oz
- 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup loosely packed parsley chopped
- 3 Tbs fresh dill chopped
- 1 small shallot or 1/2 small onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- pinch or two cayenne pepper chili powder or smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
- Lemon-Tahini Dressing
- 4 Tbs tahini
- 1-2 garlic cloves pressed
- 1 large lemon juiced
- few dill fronds cilantro or parsley minced
- 1/3 cup water or more to thin
- pinch of cayenne
- Avocado-Cucumber Dressing:
- 1 avocado
- 1 cucumber
- a few sprigs of cilantro and dill fronds
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- dash of onion powder
- water as needed to thin
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease your cast iron skillet or cookie sheet with oil of choice. (I used foil over my cookie sheet and greesed it, it seemed to work better for me)
- In food processor or blender, combine all the ingredients for the falafels. Blend until fairly smooth. Form patties into whatever size you like...
- For larger patties: scoop 3 tbs per patty...will yield approx. 6
- For small patties: scoop 1 heaping tbs per patty...will yield approx. 12 (This is the perfect size for me)
- For mini patties: scoop 1 heaping tsp per patty...will yield approx. 24
- Place patties on greased skillet/cookie sheep and bake for 10-15 min. Flip and bake for 10-15 minutes more. Total baking time 25-30 minutes. To warm them up and return crispness again to the outside, place under broiler or in a toaster oven at a high temp for a minute or two while keeping an eye on them so they don't burn.
- For the Lemon-Tahini dressing:
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and mix until well combined. Taste for seasoning and add more water as needed 1 tbs at a time or add more lemon juice. Store leftovers in an air tight container in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- OR for something different and refreshing try the
- Avocado-Cucumber dressing:
- In food processor/blender, combine all the ingredients except for the water. Blend until smooth. Taste for seasoning. Add water 1-2 tbs at a time until desired consistency. Best chilled in the refrigerator before serving. Leftovers will hold up a day or two in a sealed container in the fridge.
- Once patties are ready, make your salad and top with falafels and dressing!