Modified recipe from Julia
This bread or tortillas are paleo, vegan, low FODMAP and Autoimmune friendly!
- Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl. Stir well until everything is well combined and a dough forms. I use my hands here. Form the dough into a ball. Allow the dough to sit at room temperature (or transfer to the refrigerator) for at least 1 hour.
- Flatten the tortilla dough into a somewhat thick disc.
- Cut into 8-10 sections (like a pie) Note: for thinner tortillas, go with 10. For thicker, naan-like flatbread, go with 6-8. Roll each section out into a disc using a rolling pin, wine bottle, or just press flat with your hands. I find it easier to use my hands and possibly wet my hands to work with the dough as it tends to be dry.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet to medium and spray with cooking oil.
- Transfer one disc of dough to the skillet and cook until it begins to puff up and bubble, about 2-3 minutes. Flip to the other side and continue cooking another minute or two. Repeat for remaining dough. (It doesn't always bubble, I just check the bottom till it's lightly browned)
This dough is on the dry side. I found that when pressing into a flat disc before I fried them in a pan, it helped to wet my hands a bit to shape the dough.
I like to add a dash of oregano or a dash of fresh rosemary to the dough. It adds an amazing flavor!