I served this soup as an appetizer at a New Years dinner I had at my house. It was simply a hit. Unlike any soup I have had before. I have difficulty describing it other than you have to try it!
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||35 minutes|
- 3 Tbs butter or vegan margarine can use extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced about 1 cup
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp Tbs chopped fresh thyme or 1dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1 15 oz jar cooked peeled whole chestnuts, chopped
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 Tbs Marsala wine
- 1/3 cup heavy cream I used coconut milk as a milk alternative
- 2 leaves Tbs finely chopped fresh thymefor garnish optional
- 1 Tbs butter or vegan margarine can use extra virgin olive oil
- 4-5 cloves garlic minced
- 16 oz button or cremini mushrooms washed and sliced
- 2-3 Tbs Marsala wine
- Melt butter in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, bay leaf, thyme, and allspice and cook 5-7 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Add chestnuts, broth, and 2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 20-25 minutes, or until chestnuts are very soft. Remove bay leaf.
- Puree soup in batches in blender until smooth. Return to pot, and stir in Marsala wine and cream.
- To Make Mushrooms:
- Heat butter and garlic in skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, and cook 5-7 minutes or until mushrooms are soft. Add Marsala wine, and cook 3-5 minutes more or until liquid is evaporated.
- Season soup with salt and pepper and ladle into bowls. Garnish servings with mushrooms and fresh thyme leaves if desired.
- I actually cooked the onion and celery in olive oil.
- I couldnt find a 15oz jar of chestnuts but New Seasons had 7.4 oz jars so I bought 2 of them.
- I use a no chicken broth by Imagine. I really like this broth alot!
- I say the more mushrooms the better, they were amazing in the soup and I always add way more garlic.
- And I definately used fresh thyme, New Seasons has a great fresh herb section. I would imagine Whole Foods would have the same.