A winter favorite! Spices are nice on a cold night and this one will warm you right up!
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||45 minutes|
- 2 Tbs coconut oil
- 2 lbs winter squash peeled and cubed
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 inch piece of ginger peeled and grated
- 4-5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tsp or 3green or red thai curry paste
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk stirred well
- salt to taste
- 1/2 lime
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, ginger and garlic in the oil until onions start to soften and turn golden brown. Stir in squash, broth, cilantro, basil, coconut milk, curry paste and cumin and continue to simmer until squash is well cooked. About 30-45 min. May puree half of soup for a thicker consistency. Squeeze 1/2 lime into soup. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper and curry paste if necessary. May serve over rice. Can garnish with chopped cilantro.
- I used organic cubed butternut squash from costco. I also roasted the squash first by drizzling a small amount of oil on the cubed squash and roasting for about 30 minutes until squash is cooked. Thus I didnt have to cook the soup as long as the directions indicate because my squash was already cooked.
- I have a hand held blender and used it to blend about 2/3 of the soup leaving some chunks of squash in the soup.
- I also served the soup over brown jasmine rice for a more filling dinner.