|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 1 cups can chickpeas or 1.5cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 cup small chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onions
- 3-4 scallions chopped
- 1/2-3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp +Italian herb blend (thyme oregano, rosemary, basil, marjoram) / or use fresh herbs
- 2 Tbs vegan mayo or tahini
- black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup raw cashew halves
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs use gluten free crumbs
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5-6 portabellas stems removed. Remove gills
- salt pepper, thyme to taste
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tomato sliced
- Wash and scrub the bellas. Pat dry. Brush olive oil all over and place with tops down on parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle a little salt, pepper and thyme on the bellas.
- For stuffing: In a bowl, add chickpeas and mash well. Add all the ingredients till black pepper and mix well. Taste and adjust salt and seasoning.
- NOTE: If you like your veggies well cooked, then saute the onions and carrots in oil, for 4-5 minutes on low-medium heat. Then add to chickpea mixture.
- When ready to use the stuffing to stuff the portabellas (or to stuff bell peppers or tomatoes or squash) add the cashews, bread crumbs and oil and mix well. Add a few tsp broth or water if the mixture feels too crumbly.
- Stuff the seasoned mushrooms with the stuffing. Top with tomato slices. Bake in preheated 350 degrees F for 30-40 minutes, or until the mushrooms are well done and the stuffing is golden. Or, they can be grilled on the BBQ for equally good taste!