This is a must try recipe! My husband loved it and we ate the entire recipe between the 2 of us and next time I will double the recipe. Great for leftovers. A great protein rich patty that is so healthy for you!
|Cooking Light October 2013|
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||10 minutes|
- 2.5 Tbs olive oil divided
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
- 1 3/4 cup grated sweet potato about 8 oz
- 5/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs or gluten free breadcrumbs
- 2/5 Tbs fresh lime juice divided
- 1 can garbanzo beans rinsed and drained, 15 oz
- 1 large egg (or egg substitute I use flax egg-1Tbs gr flax + 3Tbs water)
- 1 cup chopped peeled avocado
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup vertically sliced red onion
- 1/8 tsp ground red pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tbs oil to pan and swirl to coat. Add yellow onion, garlic, and jalapeno to pan, saute 3 minutes. Add sweet potato, 3/8 tsp salt, and black pepper to pan. Saute 2 mintues or until cooked.
- Combine potato mixture, panko (or breadcrumb substitute), 1.5 Tbs lime juice, chickpeas, and egg (or egg substitute) in a food processor; pulse until chickpeas are coarsely ground. Divide potato mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 4 inch patty. Return skillet to medium-high heat. Add remaining oil to pan and swirl to coat. Add patties to pan; cook 3 minutes or until browned. Carefully turn patties over and brown on other side. Remove from pan.
- Combine avocado, tomato, red onion, remaining 1 Tbs lime juice, salt and pepper in a bowl; toss.
- Serve salsa with cakes.