A very hearty, thick, wonderful soup! Great cold night dinner! Very easy recipe, the longest time it to just let the peas cook.
|Forks over Knives cookbook|
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||165 minutes|
- 2 cups yellow split peas
- 6 cups water or vegetable broth
- 2 carrots cut into small dice
- 1 red onion cut into small dice
- 3 leeks white and green parts separated, sliced small
- 4 celery stalks cut into small dice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs tamari (or if necessary coconut amino's to keep soy and gluten free), soy sauce
- Bring the water or broth to boil and add the peas. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until peas are soft, about 2 hours.
- When the peas are soft, add carrots, onion, and white parts of the leeks. Cook for 20-30 minutes until the vegetables are soft. Add celery and cook for 5 minutes. Add salt, tamari, and green part of the leeks and cook for 7-10 min more. Serve.
- Serve with a big salad or with your favorite whole grain bread.