Hot soup on a cold winter night. I love the curry flavors in this soup.
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and minced
- 2-3 tsp garam masala
- 1 butternut squash peeled and chopped, about 3 lb
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes in tomato juice
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 15 oz cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1-2 tsp salt
- fresh minced cilantro for serving
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion, carrot and jalapeno and saute for about six minutes. Add the minced garlic and saute for 30 more seconds, and then add the garam masala, stirring well to coat. Take off heat.
- Place chickpeas, butternut squash, canned diced tomatoes, red lentils, vegetable broth and onion mixture in your slow cooker. Turn the heat on LOW and cook for 8-10 hours...the longer you cook, the thicker your stew will be.
- Season with salt to taste and serve. Freezes well and will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
I used 2 large carrots and about 5-6 cloves garlic. I like more flavor so I added 3 heaping tsps of garam masala. For ease, I bought the 2 lb container of chopped organic butternut squash. I also didn't use my crock pot, I put the mixture into a large soup pot and brought it to a boil then lowered to simmer for about 30-40 minutes until lentils and butternut were cooked.