A breakfast quinoa with a lemony maple sweetened berry compote.
|Vegetariantimes.com June 2015|
|Prep Time||12 minutes|
|Cook Time||25 minutes|
- 3 tsp Tbs plus 1lemon juice divided
- 1 cup Quinoa: rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large coins fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup low fat milk (or non dairy milk like rice almond or coconut milk)
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup strongly brewed Earl Gray tea
- 1 cup halved fresh or frozen strawberries
- 4 slice Tbsalmonds
- Add 3 Tbs lemon juice and enough water to make 1 2/3 cups liquid in 2-cup measuring cup; pour into medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Stir in quinoa, salt, and ginger and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer 20 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, and stir in milk and lemon zest. Cover, and let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring maple syrup and tea to a boil in small saucepan over medium-high heat. Boil 6 minutes, or until liquid thickens and bubbles turn frothy. Pour over strawberries in bowl, and stir gently to coat. Stir in remaining 1 tsp lemon juice.
- Spoon 3/4 cup quinoa into each serving bowl, top each with 1/4 cup berry compote, and sprinkle each with 1 Tbs almonds.