|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||40 minutes|
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 1 16- oz bag of brown lentils
- 2 14.5- oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 32- oz cartons vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper
- Optional toppings: vegan cheese tortilla chips, avocado
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and red bell pepper; saute the vegetables for 8 minutes or until onion is soft and lightly browned.
- Stir in garlic and chili powder; cook for 1 minute.
- Add lentils, tomatoes, bay leaf and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium-low and simmer partially covered for 30-40 minutes or until lentils are tender. Remove from heat and discard the bay leaf.
- Transfer 3 cups of cooked chili into a food processor and process until pureed; add the pureed chili back into the remaining hili and stir to combine. Adjust salt and pepper as needed. ( I did not puree any chili )
- Stir in cilantro and serve.