I served this salad at a New Years dinner and everyone loved it. The mushrooms and lentils are so hearty and flavorful in this dish.
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||40 minutes|
- 1/2 cup french lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 lb mushrooms sliced cremini or button
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes or more to taste
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs flat leaf parsley roughly chopped
- 1 cup arugula
- Begin by cooking the lentils. Place the lentils and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil before reducing to a simmer. Simmer for 25 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Place a large frying pan over a high heat and add 2 tsp of olive oil. When the pan has come to heat add half the mushrooms. Leave for 1 - 2 minutes before stirring. The mushrooms should be lightly golden. Cook for a further minute before removing from the pan and repeating with the second batch. Reduce the heat to medium low and return the mushrooms to the pan and add the garlic and chili flakes and cook for 2 minutes, or until the garlic is fragrant, but not browned as it will taste bitter. Set aside to cool.
- Toss the lentils, mushroom and garlic together along with the lemon juice and the extra virgin olive oil. Season to taste and add the parsley and arugula just as you are serving.
- Don't slice the mushrooms too thinly. You may want them to have a bit of substance and also you don't want them to dry out when they are cooked over a high heat.