A warm quick dinner with such a unique amazing flavor!
|Cooking light magazine October 2011|
|Prep Time||14 minutes|
|Cook Time||34 minutes|
- 4 cups thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 3 Tbs olive oil divided
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper divided
- 1/2 tsp salt divided
- 1/4 -1/2 tsp ground red pepper flakes
- 2-4 garlic cloves minced
- Cooking Spray
- 1-2 Tbs grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese I used Parma vegan cheese
- 2 cans great northern beans rinsed and drained, 15.8oz
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine fennel, 1 Tbs oil, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/4 tsp salt, red pepper, and garlic in large bowl; toss to coat fennel. Arrange fennel mixture in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes or until fennel begins to brown. Stir; sprinkle cheese evenly over fennel mixture. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add the remaining 2 Tbs oil. Add beans; cook 2 minutes or until heated. Add fennel mixture, spinach, the remaining 1/4 tsp pepper and salt. Cook 2 minutes; serve immediately.
- Note: When just taking a short cut, I pan fried the fennel mixture until golden brown in the skillet and then proceeded to add the beans, spinach and remaining salt and pepper until spinach was wilted. If you use the vegan Parmesan cheese, the recipe will not then be nut free for those who have aversion to nuts.