By Dan Buettner from The Blue Zones
What a warm, easy dish to make. I love a little spice to my meals and this hit the spot. You can cut the spice by adding less spices. I added all of them! Easy and fast!
- 1 cup lentils I used red lentils
- 1 tsp garam masala I had to make my own from a recipe I found on line.
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 15 oz can chopped tomatoes I use Pomi brand to avoid BPA in canned tomatoes
- 1/3 cup olive oil organic, extra virgin
- 1 onion chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic put through garlic press
- 1 inch ginger root chopped or I grate mine
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup spinach I used 3-4 big handfuls, you know how spinach cooks down!
- 2 1/2 cup water I used homemade broth
- 1. Saute all spices and vegetables, except spinach, until onions are clear 2. Add tomatoes, lentils, and water and simmer for 30 minutes 3. Add spinach and cook for 3 more minutes. Salt to taste
I am always looking for ways to add more veggies.
I added chopped carrots and celery to the onion as I sauteed them together with the spices.
I did have to make my own garam masala which is a mixture of spices. You can buy the spice in the store but if you have everything, I just make my own. This is the recipe I used.